The typical steps of a recruitment process vary depending on the role and company. But, most hiring teams will likely go through these steps:
1. Identify the need for a new job.
2. Decide whether to hire externally or internally.
3. Review the position’s duties and requirements and write a job ad to post online.
4. Get approval to advertise the job.
5. Solicit referrals from employees.
6. Select appropriate sources (external or internal) to post job openings.
7. Decide on hiring stages and possible timeframes.
8. Review resumes in company database/ATS.
9. Source passive candidates.
10. Shortlist applicants.
11. Screen and interview candidates.
12. Run background checks and check references.
13. Select the most suitable candidate.
14. Make an official offer.
Each step might have several sub-steps. For example, step 10, which addresses screening and interviewing candidates, may involve pre-employment testing, work samples and multiple interviews.